The Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE) is seeking applications from individuals to assume the position of Editor-Designate of its official quarterly, refereed journal, Journal of Education for Library and Information Science(JELIS). The Editor will build on the success of the present editors and will lead in the advancement of knowledge by working with the Editorial Board and University of Toronto Press. The incoming Editor will have the unique opportunity to shape the literature of library and information science education. The new Editor will assume responsibilities with Issue #1, 2019. The initial term of service is three years, with the possibility of renewal. The deadline for application is December 21, 2017. ALISE is open to applications from two individuals who would like to work as co-editors.
- Relevant library and information science (LIS) education experience
- Experience as a researcher within the field of LIS
- Familiarity with the evolving landscape of scholarly publishing
- Awareness of the LIS community and the intellectual and practical developments in the field
- Vision for the future direction of JELIS
- Experience with journal editorial work, particularly copy-editing, managing the peer review process, and working with production
- Familiarity with electronic publishing
- Ability to work in an electronic environment
- Attention to details, including deadlines and costs
- Commitment to attending ALISE Annual Conferences
The incoming Editor will receive a per-issue honorarium to support editorial expenses. The Editor’s home institution should be willing to provide the support necessary for success. Examples of institutional support that have been provided in the past include office space, supplies, and other overhead expenses and editorial internships for students. Applicants who are not associated with an institution should provide evidence of ability to provide the support necessary for success without institutional backing.
Interested individuals should send the following to Louise Spiteri, Chair of the Search Committee:
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing sample (e.g., a copy of a recently-published article)
- Evidence of editing or reviewing experience
- Statement of vision for the journal
- Name and contact information of three individuals who can assess potential as journal editor
- Statement from the applicant’s home institution affirming the specific nature of institutional support forthcoming or evidence of ability to provide the support necessary for success without institutional backing.
For further information on the journal, see the Publications section of http://www.alise.org/ or http://dpi-journals.com/index.php/JELIS
Please send electronic copies of application materials to:
Dr. Louise Spiteri, Chair,
JELIS Editor Search Committee
Submission Deadline for Applications: Dec. 21, 2017
Note that the ALISE Board-appointed JELIS Editor Search Committee will be interviewing applicants (in person or remotely) at the ALISE 2018 Annual Conference (February 6-9, 2018) in Denver, Colorado
Additional Information on JELIS
As the official publication of the Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE), the Journal of Education for Library and Information Science (JELIS), is a refereed journal published quarterly, and serves as a forum for discussion and presentation of research and issues within the field of library and information science (LIS) education. JELIS is indexed by EBSCO, ProQuest, JSTOR, Scopus, and other database vendors.
The Editor is responsible for the management and publication of JELIS and is appointed by the Board of Directors. The term of office is three years. The Editor is required to submit an annual report to the Board of Directors at the annual conference. The Editor works with the JELIS Editorial Board, and the ALISE management firm to meet the objectives of the journal. The ALISE Director for External Relations serves as the Editor’s liaison to the ALISE Board of Directors.
The JELIS Editorial Board is a body that is charged with advising the Editor on matters concerning the scholarly content and direction of JELIS, and acts also as a referee on articles submitted for publication. The Editorial Board is appointed by the Editor and the annual meeting of the Editorial Board is held at the ALISE annual conference.
The Editor is responsible for ensuring the long-term success of the journal and works with the ALISE Director for External Relations regarding any managerial issues related to the journal.
The ALISE management firm is responsible for handling all the business aspects of the publication of JELIS such as liaising with the publisher, subscriptions, marketing, and advertising. Andrew Estep, ALISE Executive Director, is the point of contact for contractual and technical matters.